Apply for Cultural Leadership's High School Program
Application Period for Class 14 Is Now CLOSED
The application period for Class 14 is now closed. Please look for recruitment information for Class 15 early next year. Applications are generally due in late April.
In the mean time, please peruse this information to better understand the application process, commitment, and eligibility for the program. Of course, contact us at any time with any questions.
Eligibility & Qualifications
Student Recruitment and Selection
Cultural Leadership sends applications to more than 100 high schools and houses of worship in the St. Louis area in search of competitive applicants. We welcome applications from students of any race, religion, or background who are interested in learning how to become social justice advocates.
In our inception, Cultural Leadership was a program dedicated to rekindling the historic alliance between African Americans and Jews. We have since expanded on that mission, and now train high-school students from diverse backgrounds to create a more just and equitable community through the African American and Jewish lens. We see the history of these two groups as an excellent foundation for understanding the effects of oppression and privilege, and for learning how to fight social injustice. Our curriculum continues to focus on the African American and Jewish experience and the majority of our students identify with one or both of these groups.
To apply, one must:
- be curious and interested in “changing the world;"
- have demonstrated a sense of responsibility, leadership potential, and curiosity;
- currently be a freshman or sophomore in high school and live in the St. Louis region (students will be in Cultural Leadership during their sophomore or junior year of high school);
- be Black and/or of African descent and voluntarily identify as an African-American;
- be Jewish, belong to a synagogue, and identify voluntarily as a Jew;
- not be Black or Jewish, but interested in learning about and being with both groups and interested in learning how to bring about social change;
- agree to the tremendous commitment that we require of our students;
- be open to a life-changing experience.
Only completed applications with two recommendations are read by the Recruitment - Selection Committee. This committee chooses the finalists and interviews students personally.
Information and Recruitment Sessions